- Do you want to teach English in Spain?
- Have you heard that it is impossible for citizens of non-European Union countries to receive a visa that enables them to teach English legally in Spain?
- Would you like to learn Spanish while living in Madrid and teach English in Spain legally on a student visa?
International TEFL Academy has partnered with an accredited language school in Spain to develop special packages that will be offered to all International TEFL Academy students and alumni. These packages, which include Spanish and cultural classes to be taken over one year, will provide participants with a student visa that enables them to legally live, study, and teach English in Spain for one year (and it is renewable).
All participants will receive:
- 1 year of Spanish classes - Spanish classes will be held at our TEFL Madrid sister school, La Aventura Espanola. The school is centrally located in the heart of Madrid. La Aventura Espanola is accredited by the Instituto Cervantes, which is the highest accreditation a Spanish language school can obtain in Spain. You will have a level test and then work with the class coordinators on finding the class and schedule that will best suit your needs. La Aventura Espanola offers 3 Spanish course program options. Please read the Student Visa Program overview for more details.
- Student Visa for Spain – This must be applied through from your local Spanish Consulate or Embassy. A student visa for Spain will allow you to study in Spain through our language program and also to teach English in Spain for the duration of your visa.
Note: Please note that if you enroll in the Spain Student Visa Program through International TEFL Academy, the staff in Madrid will gladly assist you in the process of obtaining a study visa, but you will need to follow the strict guidelines of your local Spanish Embassy/Consulate. It is the local Spanish Embassy/Consulate that makes all decisions regarding the granting of study visas and their decision is final. Please note that different consulates and embassies may operate differently when it comes to the process of issuing visas. Please read How to apply for a Student Visa to legally teach English in Spain.
- Premium CV/Resume Service - Your resume will be forwarded to more than 300 English schools and academies in Spain. Upon your arrival, our director in Spain will schedule a meeting with you to go through your CV/resume and make any needed edits. From there, we will send it out to their premier school and academy list.
- Guaranteed Job Interviews - with the top schools in Madrid as well as career advice - the TEFL Madrid class was established in 2005 and has built a tight network with top schools. The language schools in Madrid value the quality and standard our TEFL Madrid class holds for our TEFL trained teachers.
- Use of Facilities - Resource room which includes an extensive variety of English teaching books, computer access, Wi-Fi, teaching materials, scanner and photocopier.
- Pre- and Post-Arrival Assistance - Includes guidance for processing your student visa, organizing accommodations, setting up a bank account, acquiring a cell phone, etc. Upon arrival, a Trainee Support Coordinator will assist you in obtaining your NIE (foreign identification card). They will go through a step by step list with you of what needs to be done. You will also receive a packet of legal documents that needs to be filled out then presented to the Ministry of Foreigners Department. The TEFL Madrid director will assist you in this process and make all necessary appointments for you.
- Cultural Activities & Programs - Participants will participate and attend a variety events and activities to experience and gain insight into Spanish culture and history.
How Does it Work?
1. Enroll in an International TEFL Academy TEFL Certification Course
You must enroll in an International TEFL Academy TEFL certification course to participate in this program. Your TEFL certification will provide you with the training your need to work as a professional English teacher in Spain, as well as a qualification that language schools in Spain seek when hiring foreign English teachers. These courses include:
170-Hour Online TEFL Certification Course - If you take the Online TEFL Certification course, you will need to engage in 6 hours of observed student teaching in Madrid.
2. Enroll in the La Aventura Espanola Spanish Language Program through International TEFL Academy
Spanish classes will be held at our TEFL Madrid sister school, La Aventura Espanola. The school is centrally located in the heart of Madrid. La Aventura Espanola is accredited by the Instituto Cervantes, which is the highest accreditation a Spanish language school can obtain in Spain. You will have a level test and then work with the class coordinators on finding the class and schedule that will best suit your needs. Please read the Spain Student Visa Program overview for more details.
Language Class Options: Language classes are available for all levels. Participants may choose from three different packages of language classes that combine intensive, part-time and individual classes. Please read the Spain Student Visa Program overview for more details.
3. Apply for Your Student Visa for Spain
To participate in the Spain Student Visa Program, you must apply for and receive a student visa from the nearest Spanish consulate or embassy in your home country.
PLEASE NOTE! You should apply for the program at least 3 months (no exceptions) before you want to be in Madrid. You will also need to be in your home country to go to the Spanish Embassy or Consulate, i.e., if you are an American, you need to be in the U.S. when applying. The student visa process can be lengthy so you want to be sure to give yourself enough time.
For an overview of the application process for a student visa for Spain, please read How to apply for a Student Visa to legally teach English in Spain.
4. Upon Arrival in Spain
Getting a Job Teaching English in Spain - All participants will receive personal job placement assistance, including referrals to hundreds of local language schools seeking to hire TEFL certified English teachers; resume development; guaranteed job interviews; and coaching with the interview process. There is no legal guarantee that every participant will get a job teaching English in Spain, however, virtually every TEFL certified participant in this program has received offers of employment to teach English in Spain.
Read more about jobs teaching English in Spain, including salaries, schedules & more.
Note: If you have taken the International TEFL Academy 170 Hour Online TEFL Certification Class, you will be required to engage in 6 hours of observed practice teaching in Madrid prior to receiving job placement assistance in Madrid.
Beginning your Spanish classes - You will undergo a placement test prior to beginning your Spanish classes.
Processing your NIE - During your course your trainers will go through the paperwork required to obtain your NIE (foreign identification card) so that you can prepare for the final appointment at the Ministry of Foreigners Department. This will be scheduled after your course.
Program Options & Fees:
A) TEFL Class + Spanish classes for 1 year:
Spanish and Cultural classes as an add-on to the 4 week TEFL class in Madrid.
(This is Option 2 on the Madrid TEFL class page.)
Total Cost: 3.600 Euro
Deposit: $900 USD to International TEFL Academy
Final Balance: 2.400 Euro due 30 days before course begins; 400 Euro due on the first day of class
B) Lifestyle Change Program:
As an add-on to any of the 4 week TEFL/TESOL/CELTA/SIT classes (other than Madrid class) with 1 year of Spanish and Cultural classes.
Total Cost: 2.200 Euro
Deposit: 600 Euro to International TEFL Academy
Final Balance: 1.200 Euro due 30 days before course begins; 400 Euro due on the first day of class
C) Lifestyle Change Plus:
This is an add-on to the Online TEFL class through International TEFL Academy, includes Lifestyle Change Program and 6 hours of observed student teaching in Madrid.
Cost: 2.600 Euro
Deposit: 600 Euro to International TEFL Academy
Final Balance: 1.600 Euro due 30 days before course begins; 400 Euro due on the first day of class.
*All 3 include the option to renew your visa and Spanish classes for 1 year for 2,000 Euros.
Who can apply for the program?
a) Applicants generally need to be over 21 and hold a university degree. Applicants who do not meet these requirements will be considered on a case-by-case basis. We will then organize an interview with the Director of Studies. Non-native English speakers are also considered on a case-by-case basis and will be required to write an essay and participate in a phone interview.
b) International TEFL Academy graduates who have successfully completed his or her TEFL Certification course and wishes to live and teach legally in Madrid, Spain for at least one year on a student visa.
Want to learn more about this program & teaching English Spain?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about how you can earn your TEFL certification and teaching English in Spain.