What Type of Visa Can I Use to Teach English in Peru?

How to get a visa for Teaching English in Peru

June 22, 2018

Interested in teaching English in Peru? You're in the right place! Visas are an important part of planning your adventure overseas, so you want to make sure you're familiar with the process before you head abroad. The following is the most common type of visa that can be obtained for teaching English in Peru.

The type of visa you'll need in Peru (and how you get that visa) will depend on your nationality, teaching job and perhaps other factors like whether you get your job in advance of your arrival, or if you get hired locally in Peru. Be sure to speak to an International TEFL Academy Advisor by calling 773-634-9900 to discuss your specific questions and concerns about your visa for teaching English in Peru.

Teach English in Peru

Nitty Gritty Facts About Visas For Teaching English in Peru:

Name: Tourist Visa

Cost: No fee

Documents: Valid passport

Length: 30 – 183 days. Because the length of the visa is determined by the customs agent, try asking for the full 183 days on your initial entry to avoid having to border hop to Chile or Ecuador. Border hopping will not grant you more than 183 total days out of 365. Overstaying this limit may result in fines (currently $1USD per day.)

Since the Peru consulate sites can be down, visit Travel.State.Gov for visa requirements. Otherwise, keep checking back here.


The Process For Obtaining a Visa to Teach English in Peru:

The process for obtaining a tourist visa in Peru is extremely straightforward for U.S. citizens, you just land in Peru and your tourist visa is issued at the airport upon arrival. 

Most commonly in Latin America, Peru included, tourist visas are the norm therefore teachers border hop so they can stay for an extended period of time.  The standard visa procedure in these regions is teaching on a tourist visa while “border hopping,” which basically means that you are crossing over a border to another country to get a new visa. 

Once in Peru, you’ll be issued a stamp, or tourist visa, typically good for 90 days.

Before that 90 days expires you'll 'border hop,' meaning take a train, plane, or automobile, to a neighboring country to “renew” your tourist visa when you re-enter. For example, many teachers in Peru will cross the border into Ecuador or Chile for a weekend excursion, or even just for lunch, then head back home to Peru with a fresh 90 days on his/her tourist visa.

While it may seem to be a bit of an inconvenience, many view this as an opportunity to travel and explore nearby countries! 

ATTEND A LIVE TEFL WEBCAST   Join expert TEFL Advisors for an interactive broadcast covering  all aspects of teaching English abroad. Learn More!

Be sure to talk with your ITA Advisor about visas before you head overseas to Peru or enroll in your TEFL Class.

Teach English in Peru

Want to learn more about TEFL Certification & Teaching English Abroad?

Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of teaching English around the world, including TEFL certification, the hiring process, salaries, visas and more. 

Related Resources:

No Previous Articles

Next Video
Day in the Life Teaching English in Arequipa, Peru with Joe Boldis
Day in the Life Teaching English in Arequipa, Peru with Joe Boldis

<p>In this video, see what's it's like to teach English in Arequipa, Peru thanks to ITA alumnus, Joe Boldis...


Download Your Free Latin American Country Comparison Chart

First Name
Last Name
Phone Number
Educational Level
TEFL Class of Interest
Thank you!
Error - something went wrong!