International TEFL Academy is proud to offer a world-class 4-week Prague TEFL course at our partner TEFL school’s headquarters located in the heart of Prague, Czech Republic. Employing a state-of-the-art curriculum and taught by expert university-level instructors, this course is designed to provide you with the skills & qualification you need to succeed in teaching English abroad. This course is fun and you will learn a ton, but it is also very demanding and requires that you be prepared to meet the full-time demands of a rigorous university-level course. To help you prepare for this course, we've compiled the most common and most important questions raised by our students in addition to advice & tips from actual graduates of the course.
1. How many hours will I be spending in class and on course work during the course?
Students can expect to spend 140 hours per month on the course and about 5 hours per week on homework.
Example of a typical day during the TEFL class:
7.45 AM: Wake up and get ready
9.00 AM: Leave housing for school
9.20 AM: Arrive at school (approximate time)
9.30 AM – 1 PM: Complete two 90-minute workshops on TEFL methodology (there’s a 30-minute break between them).
1 PM – 5 PM: Lunch and lesson planning. We always have a few trainers to help with lesson planning. Students spend the majority of their time getting help for their evening lessons. This is OPEN time though and it’s not required to be at the school during all of these hours.
5 PM – 8 PM: Teaching practice and lesson observations (3 days a week). Students teach a 45-minute lesson and usually watch 1 or 2 45 minute lessons of their peers teaching. Practice teaching is followed by a group critique.
2. How many assignments are there throughout the course and what do they consist of? How many hours of homework can I expect outside of class?
The course assignments consist of grammar tests, methodology research, grammar speaking activation creations and a one-to-one learner profile. Students can expect to spend approximately 5 hours per week on homework outside of class.
3. Will I have a lot of free time to see Prague and travel around the Czech Republic or Europe?
Because of the intense nature of the schedule, you should plan to do any major sightseeing either before or after the course finishes, though you will have some free time on the weekends (in addition to homework).
4. Will grammar be taught during the course? Are there additional resources in the course materials?
Yes, grammar will be taught during the course. The school also has a great online grammar course that is sent to students before the course begins to review and refresh their grammar knowledge.
5. Is there a textbook needed for the course? Do I need to purchase it before the course begins?
There is a textbook included in the cost of the course. Students will receive it upon arrival in Prague on the first day of class.
6. What kind of English language learners will I be teaching during the practicum?
The ESL students are typically adults of beginner to advanced levels. TEFL Students will be put into a group of approximately 4-11 students to teach each night.
7. Are there any specific technology requirements for the course?
No, but students should bring a laptop computer with them to Prague.
8. How can I prepare for the course? Can I begin working on my assignments prior to the course?
There are 5 pre-course grammar tests that students need to complete before the course begins. Students will receive these tests about 6 weeks before the start date.
9. Does the TEFL course recommend housing or arrange it?
Students can arrange their accommodations through the onsite coordinator in Prague.
10. What time should I arrive on the first day of class?
The school recommends arriving on 9:15 am on the first day of class with basic school materials such as pen, paper and a laptop.
Want to Learn More about TEFL Certification for Teaching English Abroad?
Your first step is to speak with expert advisor who will cover all of your options & questions. Contact International TEFL Academy now for a free brochure and to speak with an admissions advisor. You can also call us directly at 773-634-9900.